Dark Green Leafy Vegetables (DGLV)
Dark Green Leafy Vegetables (DGLV) are an excellent source of nutrients including folate, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin C and fiber. Part of what makes DGLV so super is their potential to reduce your risk of chronic illnesses including heart disease and type 2 diabetes (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source). They also contain high levels of anti-inflammatory compounds known as carotenoids, which may protect against certain types of cancer (3Trusted Source).
- Some DGLV have a bitter taste and not everyone enjoys them plain.
- The stem on the DGLV is more bitter and a pepper taste. Use the leaves and not the stems.
- Use stems generously in your Green Smoothie.
- DGLV are a main ingredients in a Daily Green Smoothie and should be part of salads.
Well-known DGLV include:
- Micro Greens are immature greens produced from the seeds of vegetables and herbs.
- Micro Greens are higher in nutrients verses allowing the plant to continue to grow.
- Micro Greens typically measure 1-3 inches.
- Sprouting is one of the ways to grow microgreens without soil.
- Micro Greens take about 5-7 days to be ready to eat.
- When Micro Greens are ready to eat they typically last about 7-14 days in the refrigerator. However making daily small batches, will allow you to consume the most nutrition.
- Don’t forget to wash Micro Greens with fresh filtered water to remove any of the inhibitors and seed particles that may remain.